Monday, February 22, 2021

"Southern Girls Series - Saucer Magnolia Branch", A new series, and the last painting of 2020

Southern Girls - Saucer Magnolia Branch, 6" X 18" Colored Pencil on Ampersand Pastelboard, Available For Sale  

Starting a new series is like starting a new year, and I had to get a jump on 2021 by getting this one going during 2020!  Although this was my last painting of 2020 technically, I was looking forward to 2021, Spring and a fresh year, full of possibilities.  We all needed to mourn 2020 and I realize 2021 could be similar but I choose to look on the bright side.  Just like I'm ignoring all the snow, ICE, sleet and more cold temperatures much of us have endured during this beginning of the year.  

Spring will come, IT WILL COME, say it with me: Spring Will Come! I am soooo ready.  My life revolves around my garden most years, ebbing and flowing with the season, embracing what each has to savor.  I think I was savoring the first 2 snowfalls, and even took a moment to appreciate the icy glaze on the branches everywhere the first ice storm we had.  And really cherished the fact we maintained power, unlike many in the area.  But now despite what the ground hog had to declare, I'm calling it over.  

Maybe it's the sunny day we're having, and my bulbs inching their way up slowly and warily.  Or the forecast of warming temps by later this week, yep probably it's this! ;)) I took down my Valentines wreath and flag, up with the St. Patrick's Day decor, and Luck for Spring.  We all need it don't you think! I willing it to happen.

The piece above came about by many different reference photos, 7 to be exact.  Blending shape of the different stages of each individual flower's opening, with the changing shades each had depending on their age.  Kind of like each of us, from the tightest bud (new, inexperienced and young), to exploring adolescents full of color reaching for experience, then middle aged in our wise ability to hold together in the wind and finally on to the slightly fading in color but full and resilient as can be.  

Gratitude Journal page
2018

This page from my gratitude journal back in 2018 shows a saucer magnolia bud in August no less!  My poor (confused at the season) tree prompted this small sketch.  Saucer magnolia's are deciduous trees that usually bloom on nearly bare branches in the Spring before the leaves have a chance to mature or sprout in earnest.  My plant tried blooming all that growing season.  One here and there.  

The quote I wrote is:

And the day came 
when the Risk to Remain Tight in a bud
was more painful than the Risk it took to Blossom!   
by Anais Nin 

I love this quote as it has much meaning to me.  Risk to bloom no matter if it's out of season or not reminds me of my art career.  Later in life I began my art career, much past the age of many.  But just like the quote and the bud in the sketch, I did finally have the courage to bloom.  And I guess that's what I wish for anyone reading this blog post.  It's never too late to try.  

Stay warm, safe and come back to visit with me all new things are on the horizon here and elsewhere. News to come soon!
Gloria

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always like to hear what you think or answer questions so make a comment and lets chat!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...